Sunday, March 27, 2011

Endorphin Crash

First of all, I feel I should explain the reason why I haven't published anything in last couple of weeks.

Couple of days ago I've returned from a week long tour of Greece and Italy. During the spring and summer I work in tourism (not sure what's the part time job here, teaching or this?), and on this particular tour I was lucky enough to travel with few like minded individuals and their offsprings.

Just so you get an idea, doing this job basically means I get to sleep some 5-6 hours a day and for the rest of time I deal with all those little things that might happen when a big group of people travels places that don't follow the same rules they know from wherever they come from (I'm talking about things getting stolen and broken, events being missed, transportation and accomodation overbooked or in bad condition, people getting lost etc. - I basically do damage control - and prevention, whenever that's possible).

I have to say, as this group was randomly assigned to me, I couldn't wish for more. We instantly clicked, the chemistry was great, we could talk about anything from things mundane to art and current affairs, and during this week I felt, after quite some time, fulfilled and presented with just enough challenges to make my life once again interesting without making it too stressfull. A perfect combo (I really hope they've enjoyed my company as much as I enjoyed theirs).

Truth is, besides all the intellectual stimulation, I haven't laughed like I did on this tour in ages. I swear, the level of endorphin in my blood went through the roof, my cheeks and abs were literally hurting for few days after the tour was over.

Alas, all good things come to an end.

I got back to Athens, back to my ("more") normal life and that's where the problem lies. I have nothing to do....

No challenges to face, to problems to solve. For the past few days my biggest mental effort was how to spend the time between waking up, occasional meals and hitting the sack. So far I've watched the whole second season of "Community" and 10 minutes ago I've finished watching "Scott Pilgrim vs. the World". Sad, that's what it is...

After the very hectic (but extremely enjoyable) week on the road, I came back home and, as messed up as it is, I have no reason to get up before noon.

It's hard being proactive, when there's nothing to be proactive about. Plus, I miss being high on endorphin. I need a fix ;)

5 comments:

  1. Just the mention of Athens had me sighing wistfully. I miss Greece! :-( Just think of all the people (me included) who don't have the chance to wander around Greece and Italy for a week right now--you don't have it too bad, sweets. Glad you had a wonderful trip and I'm sure you will think of something to do to keep yourself busy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, I don't really have it too bad, I just don't like artificial challenges...

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a member of that tour group may I say that it was fantastic adventure and without you I can't imagine it being nearly as interesting. You made the week enjoyable and added to the countless memories we brought home. I too have felt like something is missing in the days because of going back to a quiet existence. (Although, I do have a terrible head cold so that doesn't help.)

    I hope you are able to find that something that you need to fill your days and occupy your mind. I hope that you find laughter and joy in your days and nights.

    As we told you before, when you have the opportunity to visit the states... Our home is open to you. We will happily be your tour guide and give you many laughs.

    Until we travel together again...

    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure they really enjoyed your company. Everyone in our tour group, including myself, really missed you when we left. You were good to us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jake, figure out the most cost-effective flight to the U.S. and let us return the favor this year. How about the Grand Canyon and Las Vegas?

    You made our visit extraordinary! Honestly, your help and companionship was on equal par to the amazing relics and sites we visited. And now, having traveled to Europe for the first time, we have an amazing and new perspective on the U.S. - it still seems like an incredible experiment in Democracy, the land of plenty, land of opportunity and wide open spaces where pioneers can still flourish... BUT, we can now best appreciate our long-time suspicions: our great nation is missing out on countless opportunities to be the very best society and homeland it could possibly be. In spite of America's greatness, the tradedy is all that we COULD be, but is denied in the name of greed and a pig-headed, puritanical approach to social issues. Come see for yourself - witness the good and the bad. ;)

    Jim

    ReplyDelete